Mattie Perley, better known as The Blacksmith is a recurring character in Season 1 of Wynonna Earp. The Blacksmith semi-powerful white witch, she strongly prefers to live solitary life in her forge; therefore, she isn't overly fond of trespassers.
Her first appearance is in the episode Constant Cravings when Waverly Earp suggests to Wynonna and Dolls that they ask for The Blacksmith's help in identifying a brand on one of The Seven. She tells Dolls and Wynonna that she collects many brands and branding irons, including the one they're looking for. After giving Dolls some cryptic wisdom, she sends him and Wynonna off. Waverly comes back later the same day asking for help with the skull she was left as part of the inheritance from her Uncle Curtis. Recognizing the name, The Blacksmith decides to help Waverly and performs a binding ritual. While performing the ritual, she gains knowledge of whom the skull belongs to and panics. Claiming both she and Waverly are in great danger, The Blacksmith sends Waverly back home while she prepares for Constance's attack.
In the beginning of the next episode, Walking After Midnight she is gravely injured by Constance. However, despite her wounds, she walks all the way to the Earp Homestead where she warns Doc Holliday about the skull and Constance's approaching attack. The Blacksmith then succumbs to her injuries and dies, only to be brought back as a zombie by Constance, later on in the episode.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Spell Casting: The Blacksmith was able to cast a binding spell which made Waverly owner of the skull
- Aura Sensing: The Blacksmith said she was able to sense Wynonna's negative energy and also saw that Dolls was going through an intense, internal struggle.
- Biokinesis: By making a claw-like gesture with her hands, The Blacksmith was able to make Constance's eye bleed
- Endurance: Even after being tortured by Constance, she was able to make it all the way to the Earp homestead on foot.
- Enhanced senses: The Blacksmith was able to sense Constance's presence in her forge by way of smell.
The Blacksmith is a woman of average height with long black hair, brown eyes, and light brown skin. It is possible she is of either Native American or Hispanic descent.